Chateau Pichon Baron 2007
The full name is Chateau Longueville au Baron de Pichon-Longueville. In the past, Pichon Baron and Pichon Lalande were combined together, named Pichon.
François de Pichon and Catherine de Bavolier are the parents of Bernard, who married Anne Daffis de Longueville in 1646. This marriage assumed Pichon family with the title “Barony of Longueville”.
Bernard had two children, one is François de Pichon, who took on the “Barony of Parempuyre” by marriage; the other one is Jacques.
Jacques de Pichon-Longueville married Thérèse de Rauzan, daughter of Pierre de Mazure de Rauzan. This marriage made Pichon’s glory wine empire begin, because Rauzan family is a veteran of viticulture. Rauzan family owned vineyards in Margaux, and purchased plots in Pauillac in 1689. These new purchased plots are the foundation of Pichon vineyards.
In a few years, Pichon exchanged some vineyards with their neighboring Chateau Latour, and developed good reputation. After Jacques died in 1731, this estate was bequeathed to the descendants, and Joseph was the last member of Pichon who owned the whole estate solely. After Joseph’s death in 1850 (born in 1755), according to new Napoleonic laws, the estate was divided into five parts to his five children.
Two parts was to belong to Joseph’s two sons, but both were inherited by Raoul due to his younger brother’s (Louis) death. Raoul also inherited the title of “Barony of Longueville”, so this estate was called Pichon-“Baron”.
The other three parts of vineyards Joseph left behind were inherited by his three daughters, and called Pichon-“Lalande” afterward.
The current chateau building of Pichon-Baron was built in 1851, and this chateau was classified as 2nd growth in 1855. However, unfortunately, in 1933, Pichon-Baron family ran out of potential heirs (inheritors), so this estate was sold to the Bouteillier family. Bouteillier family still kept the good reputation, and survived from mildew, phylloxera, war and depression.
However, after Jean Bouteillier died in 1961, Chateau Pichon-Baron experienced a decline due to his children’s inexpreienced and short of leadership and investment. After the bad 1970s and 1980s, Jean-Michel Cazes (owns Chateau Lynch-Bages) and AXA Millésimes (owns Chateau Suduiraut) completely purchased this chateau in 1987. They rebuild the chai (completed in 1991), expand the cellars, renovate and refurnish the chateau. These definitely give Chateau Pichon-Baron a heady rise to challenge Pichon-Lalande.
Jean-Michel Cazes retired in 2000, and Christian Seely succeeded.
Chateau Pichon Lalande 2006
Chateau Pichon Lalande was acturally run by Raoul before his death in 1860. After that, the chateau was just under direction of Marie-Laure-Virginie, daughter of Joseph de Pichon. Marie-Laure-Virginie married to Comte Henri de Lalande in 1818, so she took the title “Comtesse de Lalande”.
The chateau building was designed by Duphot in 1840, quite matched the architect style of Chateau Pichon-Baron (built in 1851). Same to Chateau Pichon-Lalande, this chateau was also classified as 2nd growth in 1855.
Marie-Laure exclusively gained the tenure of whole estate after the death of her two sisters, Sophie (a num) and Gabrielle (married to Comte de Laveur), both of whom are childless.
In 1882, Marie-Laure bequeathed this property to her niece, Elizabeth de Narbonne-Pelet, who married to another Lalande, Comte Charles. Elizabeth passed the joint ownership to her two daughters, Sophie and Henriette. Sophie passed her protion to her five offspring. Henriette and Elizabeth’s grandchildren subsequently sold the shares of the estate to Louis and Eduoard Miailhe.
The Miailhe family started out as borkers and negociants in the 18th century. In the early 20th century, they purchased many properties, and the greatest acquisition is Chateau Pichon-Lalande. Eduoard died in 1959, the shares were inherited by his several descendants, and the chateau is managed by William-Alain Miailhe. After William’s resign in 1972, Michel-Delon of Leoville-Las-Cases managed it from 1975 to 1978. In 1978, the estate was passed to Eduorad’s youngest daughter, May-Eliane.
May-Eliane married to General Hervé de Lencquesaing, and left Bordeaux for many years before succeeded the manager position. Although she paid scant attention to the estate before, she acted quickly after succeeding — buy out the shares of four associates (acquiring 84% shares of Chateau Pichon-Lalande). This action ensures the ownership, and makes May-Eliane and all workers can focus on making excellent wines.
However, May-Eliane, Madame de Lencquesaing, does not have a single heir, so she has to find outside investment to handle this estate. Almost everyone thought the Hermes family will be the one, but, surprisingly, the Rouzard family of Louis Roederer was the winner. The Rouzard family acquired a majority of shares of the estate and Chateau Bernadotte (also run by the Lencquesaing family), but May-Eliane still lived in the chateau. The chateau then run by May-Eliane’s nephew Gildas d’Ollone, and then by Sylvie Cazes-Regimbeau (sister of Jean-Michel Cazes) from Feb. 4, 2011.
1 thought on “Chateau Pichon-Baron and Chateau Pichon-Lalande”